Being involved in a car accident is a traumatic experience. You will have many thoughts, emotions, and concerns running through your mind following an accident, especially if you have suffered injuries. For this reason, many drivers are unable to think clearly and make mistakes that ultimately limit their rights and reduce their ability to recover compensation from the at-fault party.
Our legal team at Drake & Collopy, P.C., wants to ensure you are prepared for the aftermath of a car accident. Below are some things to keep in mind if you find yourself in this situation.
Related Article: 9 QUESTIONS TO ASK YOUR CHICAGO PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER
At the Scene of the Accident
At the accident scene, it is important to take the following steps, to the best of your ability, following an accident:
- Ensure that you and everyone involved are safe and out of harm’s way.
- Take photos and/or video of the vehicles, debris, and location of the accident.
- Relocate your vehicle (if possible)off the road and out of traffic.
- Call the authorities to request police and emergency medical services to the scene.
- Do not admit fault, apologize for the accident, or otherwise discuss the accident with the other driver. While this may seem impolite, any statements you make may be used against you and may reduce or eliminate the possibility of receiving compensation later.
- Take note of any statements or admissions made by the other driver, such as, “sorry, I didn’t see you”.
- Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s), even if the police have taken their information.
- If there are any witnesses to the accident in other vehicles that stopped or who were at the scene at the time of the accident, make sure to get their names and contact information.
- Take note of any visible cameras in the area.
- Do not leave the scene until after the police have completed their investigation and you have been evaluated by emergency medical services.
Contact Your Insurer
It is a good idea to contact your auto insurance company as soon as possible after an accident. If possible, do this from the scene of the accident. Some insurance companies have a mobile app that walks you through the necessary steps to take after an accident.
Call Now For A Free Consultation
Seek Medical Treatment
After an accident, you may feel that you have not been seriously injured, or you may feel like you can live with the pain you are experiencing. Sometimes, the signs and symptoms of injuries can be delayed or not very noticeable until the following day or two after the accident. However, if you are experiencing any pain or discomfort whatsoever, do not wait to go to the emergency room or an urgent care facility for an evaluation following an accident. Having the accident and your injuries documented right away is very important for your personal injury case.
Related Article: WHAT A CHICAGO PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEY CAN DO FOR YOU?
Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney for Assistance
Studies have shown that injury victims who hire a personal injury lawyer receive substantially greater compensation than those who try to go it alone. Personal injury claims and lawsuits are complex. The laws are designed to help ensure you receive full and fair compensation; however, unless your case is handled properly from day one, a successful outcome is very unlikely.
The only objective of insurance companies is to minimize the amount they pay on claims, and they have teams of attorneys and experts as well as substantial financial resources to fight your claim. Unfortunately, some people attempt to handle their own personal injury cases and deal directly with the responsible insurance company. Frequently, by the time an issue arises and they decide to reach out to a personal injury attorney, the case has been irreparably damaged. Not to worry, however; our experienced legal team is here to help.
Although the statute of limitations is two years in most personal injury cases, you should not wait or delay contacting an experienced injury attorney after being involved in an accident. It is critical that evidence is gathered promptly and that the case is handled properly from day one. Therefore, it is important to contact us as soon as possible after being involved in an accident or suffering an injury.
Related Article: STEPS TO PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL INJURY CLAIM
Hiring Drake & Collopy, P.C. to Handle Your Car Accident Case
Retaining an experienced and effective personal injury attorney is critical for the success of your car accident case and to ensure that you are fully compensated for your injuries and losses. At Drake & Collopy, P.C., our legal team is dedicated to helping you through this difficult time period and to building a strong case from day one. Our attorneys will help you navigate the many challenges that car accident victims face while giving you the peace of mind that your legal case is in good hands. As a client, you will have a team of experienced injury attorneys working diligently and aggressively on your behalf. Our ultimate goal is to secure the maximum amount of compensation for your injuries and your future. The first step is to get in touch with us to discuss your situation so we can get to work for you.