Commercial trucking accidents are an all-too-common occurrence on Illinois highways and roadways. Unfortunately, because of their size, weight, and the typical speed at which they travel, commercial truck accidents can cause devastating, life-altering, and sometimes fatal injuries to accident victims.
If you are injured as a result of a trucking accident, you may be entitled to recover compensation from the truck driver, the trucking company, and other potential defendants for your injuries and losses. At Drake & Collopy, P.C., we are dedicated to helping our clients recover the compensation they deserve after a trucking accident.
The Complexity of Truck Accident Cases
Cases involving tractor-trailers and other commercial trucks are unique and far more complex than other types of vehicle accident claims for several reasons. First, trucking accident claims frequently involve multiple defendants and may involve errors by the truck driver, negligence on the part of the trucking company, or equipment failure. Second, there are many rules and regulations that apply to commercial truck drivers and trucking companies that do not apply to most other drivers. Third, there are many different types of evidence that frequently must be examined in trucking cases including an examination of the truck itself, any black box data, driver log books or electronic log records, maintenance records, the driver’s employment records, and dispatch reports.
Therefore, retaining an experienced and effective truck accident attorney is critical for the success of your case and to ensure that you are fully compensated for your losses. At Drake & Collopy, P.C., our legal team has decades of experience representing truck accident victims.
Common Causes of Chicago Truck Accidents
One of the first steps in representing a truck accident victim is to do a thorough investigation of the accident and to review any available evidence to determine what caused or contributed to the accident. As mentioned above, there are many truck accidents where more than one party can be held liable.
In many cases, the investigators will access the black box in the truck or even the driver’s cell phone records to determine what caused the accident. Some of the most common causes of truck accidents include:
- Truck driver negligence and error
- Truck driver fatigue
- Mechanical equipment malfunction
- Improperly loaded or secured cargo
- Violations of commercial trucking rules and regulations
Some of the entities that may be partly or fully liable for truck accidents include:
- The truck driver. The driver is the first person looked at when it comes to truck accident liability. This is the individual who had control of the vehicle when the accident occurred.
- The trucking company. The trucking company is responsible for hiring qualified drivers and for properly training and supervising those drivers. Trucking companies are responsible for ensuring that their drivers can operate large trucks and tractor-trailers safely.
- The truck owner. If the driver does not own the truck, and the truck has not been maintained or kept in a safe condition, the owner of the truck could be held liable.
- The truck manufacturer. If the truck has some type of mechanical defect that causes or contributes to an accident, the manufacturer of the truck may be held liable.
- The cargo company. The cargo company is responsible for unloading and loading trucks and trailers. If cargo loading issues result in an accident, the cargo company may be responsible.
- A truck component manufacturer. Tractor-trailers, large trucks, and delivery trucks contain many different parts and components. If the failure of a component leads to an accident, the component manufacturer may be considered liable.
Because there are so many potential causes of trucking accidents and so many parties who may potentially be liable for your injuries, it is essential that you have an experienced team of truck accident attorneys working on your behalf.
Why Hire An Experienced Chicago Trucking Lawyer?
There are many factual and legal complexities when it comes to a commercial truck accident. At Drake & Collopy, P.C., we are here to help. We will put our years of experience and expertise to work to help you recover the compensation you deserve. Truck accidents can be especially devastating and life-changing. Let us help you recover the damages you deserve. We have decades of experience successfully handling Chicago truck accident cases and are ready to provide the same aggressive representation in your case. The first step is to contact us today to discuss your truck accident claim in detail.