In today’s incredibly busy world, many people have grown used to juggling several tasks at once. One of the most common — yet dangerous — instances is texting while driving. No matter how confident someone is in their ability to pay attention to the road, texting is an irrefutable distraction.
If you have been injured on Chicago roads due to another driver’s negligence, our texting and driving accident lawyers can help you with securing financial compensation for your injuries. Call us at (312) 900-8872 or contact us online for a free consultation today!
Related Article: COMMON CAUSES OF DISTRACTED DRIVING
It Only Takes Five Seconds for a Crash to Happen: Texting and Driving Statistics
In the grand scheme of things, five seconds seems like barely any time at all — just enough for a quick glance at your phone. However, when you are traveling at speeds of 55 mph or higher, five seconds is all it takes for a car to cross the length of an entire football field and cause a collision.
In a study by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, 35% of respondents admitted to texting or sending an email while driving. In the very same study, 78% of respondents agreed that texting while driving poses a significant danger on the road.
Despite acknowledging the dangers of texting and driving, many still engage in the behavior. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimate that every day, 1,000 people are seriously injured and nine people die due to the actions of a distracted driver.
Nobody ever deserves to suffer severe injury or the death of a loved one just because another driver decided that checking their phone was more important than the safety of the people around them. Should you ever find yourself in this situation, our dedicated Chicago texting and driving accident lawyers will ensure that you get the justice you deserve.
What To Do After a Texting and Driving Accident
Accidents often happen without warning. When you are on the road, you have to trust that other drivers are fulfilling their responsibility to ensure road safety. Texting and driving, however, is a lapse in that responsibility. After an accident, you will likely feel overwhelmed and disoriented. Take these steps to protect your safety and legal rights:
- Seek medical attention immediately — Your health and safety should always be the number one priority. Even if you do not see visible injuries, you may still have suffered whiplash or other internal injuries. Timely medical attention will prevent injuries from worsening and provide vital medical records for a personal injury claim.
- Report the accident to the authorities — A police report is another important piece of evidence in a personal injury case. It provides an objective record of the facts of the accident.
- Document everything you can — Take photos and videos of the scene of the accident (e.g. your injuries, the vehicles involved, the surrounding environment) and write down what you remember about the events leading up to the accident. You should also exchange contact information with the other driver and any potential witnesses. Documentation is instrumental in proving a personal injury claim.
- Contact texting and driving accident lawyer — When you have been injured due to someone else’s negligence or recklessness, you are entitled to compensation under Chicago personal injury law. However, securing this compensation is often difficult, requiring lengthy negotiations with the at-fault party. A skilled lawyer can advise you on your legal options and handle the resolution of your case while you recover from your injuries.
Related Article: ELEMENTS OF A PERSONAL INJURY CLAIM
What To Do When a Texting and Driving Accident Results in the Death of a Loved One
In the worst-case scenario, a texting and driving accident can result in the death of a loved one. Death is devastating by nature, but the sudden and unnecessary nature of a texting and driving accident can make it even more difficult to deal with.
In this situation, you might find yourself swamped with financial stress — unexpected funeral costs and the loss of the victim’s income can put a strain on your household. To ease your burden, you can reach out to our texting and driving accident lawyers for help with filing a wrongful death claim and securing compensation.
Related Article: 5 CATASTROPHIC INJURIES RESULTING FROM HIGHWAY CAR ACCIDENTS
Types of Compensation You Can Recover After a Texting and Driving Accident
Under personal injury law, the damages you can recover after a successful claim include:
- Economic damages — Damages with a fixed financial cost, such as medical bills, hospital stays, rehabilitation, therapy, prescription medication, lost income (either from missed time at work or diminished earning capacity due to injury), property damage, and funeral costs (if the accident resulted in death).
- Non-economic damages — Damages without a fixed financial cost, such as pain and suffering, mental anguish, emotional distress, and loss of companionship/support (if the accident resulted in death).
Related Article: WHAT ARE THE TEXTING AND DRIVING LAWS IN ILLINOIS?
Get the Help of Skilled Chicago Texting and Driving Lawyers Today
If you or a loved one have suffered injuries at the hands of a distracted driver, you deserve justice. Texting and driving accidents are the result of unnecessary and inexcusable negligence, and you should not have to suffer due to someone else’s actions. Do not hesitate to contact our skilled Chicago texting and driving lawyers for help with your case.
At Drake & Collopy, P.C., we aggressively pursue liable parties to secure the maximum compensation possible for our clients. We understand the long-lasting impact a sudden accident can have on your life and we are committed to using our skills and knowledge to protect your best interests. Call us at (312) 900-8872 or contact us online for a free consultation about your case today.