Experiencing a burn injury can be a life-altering event. Aside from being extremely painful and often leaving permanent scarring and disfigurement, victims frequently suffer from psychological injuries like PTSD as well. Some burn injuries also require extensive medical treatment including multiple surgeries.
If you suffered a burn injury due to someone else’s negligence or wrongful conduct, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and losses. Our experienced burn injury attorneys will help you navigate the many challenges that burn injury victims face. As a client, you will have a team of experienced injury attorneys working diligently and aggressively on your behalf. Our ultimate goal is to secure the maximum amount of compensation for your injuries and for your future. The first step is to get in touch with us to discuss your situation.
The Most Common Causes of Burn Injuries in Chicago
There are four basic types of burn injuries. These include:
- Thermal burns: This type of burn results from exposure to a flame or another source of heat.
- Chemical burns: Caused when the skin is exposed to a caustic chemical.
- Electrical burns: Can occur when the victim is exposed to an electrical current.
- Radiation burns: Exposure to radiation can cause radiation burns to the skin.
There are many different situations that may cause burn injuries including:
- Vehicle accidents when the vehicle ignites
- Building fires
- Explosion accidents
- Locked fire exits
- Scalding liquid or boiling water
- Construction site accidents
- Defective products
Types of Compensation We Can Help You Recover After a Burn Injury
As a burn injury victim, you will face numerous challenges. In many cases, the impacts of the burn injury will be life-long. Many burn victims face significant physical and emotional pain and suffering. Some burn victims are required to undergo extreme and painful medical procedures. These may include multiple surgeries including skin grafts, reconstructive surgeries, and plastic or cosmetic surgical procedures.
Burn victims frequently also suffer from psychological injuries like PTSD, depression, and anxiety, which can be daunting and require lifelong counseling. Some have a permanent loss of feeling in the areas that were burned, and some may not be able to continue in the same type of employment they did prior to the injury.
Types of Compensation You Can Receive for a Burn Injury
If another person’s or entity’s negligence resulted in your burn injury, you may be entitled to compensation. Some of the damages you may be able to recover after a burn injury include:
The purpose of economic damages is to provide compensation for the monetary impact of your injury. Some examples of economic damages you may be able to recover include:
- All past and future medical costs related to the injury for treatment, surgeries, and therapy
- All past and future lost income due to the inability to work because of the injury
- Reduced lifetime earning capacity if you must change jobs or quit working completely
The purpose of non-economic damages is to provide compensation for your personal suffering and diminished quality of life. Some of the types of non-economic damages we will pursue on your behalf include:
- Pain and suffering, past and future
- Disfigurement due to permanent scarring
- Loss of a normal life, including the inability to perform tasks of daily living and to participate in your normal recreational activities
- Emotional and psychological injuries including depression and PTSD
Our Chicago Burn Injury Lawyers Are Here for You
If your burn injury was caused by the negligence or wrongful conduct of another party, we encourage you to reach out to us today. Our team of experienced Chicago burn injury attorneys is dedicated to helping you recover the compensation you deserve for your injuries and losses. Our team will review your case and get started on building a strong case right away. We are your partner in recovery and will fight aggressively on your behalf.