Have you been out and about in any of the major metro areas of Chicago recently? If so, you probably saw some electric scooters on the roadway or sidewalk. These micro-mobility vehicles are powered by electric motors, and they usually consist of handlebars, a floorboard, hand brakes, and a throttle.
Using an electric scooter can be a fun and convenient way to get around and explore the area; however, they are also controversial. With scooter accidents increasing across the country, some cities have started to impose restrictions on their use, while others have banned them completely.
While Chicago is still scooter-friendly, there are risks involved if you choose to use them. If you are injured in a scooter accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you may be able to recover compensation from the negligent party.
At Drake & Collopy, P.C., our legal team is dedicated to helping you recover the compensation you deserve after a scooter accident. The first step is to get in touch with us to discuss your situation. Consultations with our attorneys are always free.
Related Article: ELECTRIC SCOOTER ACCIDENTS AND LAWS IN CHICAGO
Why Are Scooters So Dangerous?
In the past several years, accidents involving scooters have skyrocketed in Chicago and across the country. The injuries caused by a scooter crash can be devastating and life-changing.
Some of the factors that make scooters so dangerous include:
- Minimal visibility: Like bicyclists and motorcyclists, scooter riders are more difficult for motorists to see.
- Minimal protection: Scooters provide little to no protection to the rider which increases the likelihood of serious injuries in a crash.
- Sidewalk riding: Riding a scooter on the sidewalk exposes the rider to the hazards of unpredictable pedestrians, pets, and cars exiting driveways.
- Road hazards: Some scooter accidents occur when the rider hits gravel, cracked pavement, a pothole, or crashes into some other obstacle that is on the road.
- Instability of the scooter: Unlike other vehicles, scooters are designed with just two small wheels, making them inherently less stable because of the increased center of gravity. This reduced stability increases the likelihood of accidents due to the rider losing their balance.
- Minimal rider experience: Sometimes, scooter accidents occur because the rider is inexperienced. There is no safety course required for someone to ride or use a scooter.
Steps to Take After Being Involved in a Chicago Scooter Accident
If you are injured in a scooter accident because of someone else’s negligence, you should follow these steps to help protect your right to compensation for your injuries and damages:
- Contact the authorities to report the accident. Never let the at-fault party try to convince you not to file a police report.
- If you were struck by a vehicle, exchange your information with the driver who struck you. It is a good idea to take photos of their driver’s license and insurance card.
- Take photos and/or video of your scooter, the vehicle that hit you, any damages and visible injuries, and the scene of the accident.
- Take note of any statements or admissions made by the at-fault party, such as, “sorry, I didn’t see you”.
- Gather names and contact information from any witnesses who saw the collision happen.
- Take note of any visible cameras in the area.
- Seek medical treatment immediately if you are feeling any pain or discomfort.
- Contact our legal team to discuss your case and your legal options.
Related Article: WHAT TO DO AFTER A CAR ACCIDENT
Proving Fault in a Chicago Scooter Accident
It can be challenging to prove fault in a Chicago scooter accident. For this reason, we encourage you to contact our legal team as soon as possible after an accident occurs. Our attorneys can conduct a complete and thorough investigation of your accident to establish how your accident occurred and who should be held responsible for the injuries you suffered.
Hiring Drake & Collopy, P.C. to Handle Your Scooter Accident Case
At Drake & Collopy, P.C., we understand the devastating impact a scooter accident can have on your life. Our team of experienced attorneys is dedicated to helping you recover the compensation you deserve for your injuries and losses.
If you have been injured in a scooter accident due to someone else’s negligence or wrongful conduct, we encourage you to reach out to us today. Our team will review the facts of your case and get started on building a strong case right away. We are your partner in recovery and will fight aggressively on your behalf.