If you have been involved in a bicycle accident, you know the road to recovery can be very slow and painful. The physical, emotional, and financial toll it takes on you and your family can be overwhelming.
When you ride a bicycle, you have very little protection from outside forces. Even if you wear a helmet and other protective gear, an accident may be catastrophic, especially if you are struck by a passenger vehicle or truck.
If you are injured as a result of a bicycle accident, you have the right to hold the at-fault party responsible for your injuries and losses. However, retaining an experienced and effective personal injury attorney is critical for the success of your case and to ensure that you are fully compensated for your losses.
At Drake & Collopy, P.C., our legal team is dedicated to helping you recover the compensation you deserve after a bicycle accident. The first step is to get in touch with us to discuss your situation.
The Most Common Causes of Chicago Bicycle Accidents
Unfortunately, bike lanes and designated paths are very limited, and bicycle riders often have no choice but to share the road with motor vehicles. It can be especially dangerous on busy city streets like those in Chicago. Drivers often fail to see cyclists or are distracted by texting or making phone calls while driving.
The most common types of Chicago bicycle accidents include:
- Side swipe accidents: Motorists traveling in the same direction as a cyclist may wander into the cyclist’s path or simply fail to provide adequate clearance between the car and the bicycle.
- Turning accidents: Motorists often fail to observe and yield the right-of-way to cyclists while making left turns or right turns at an intersection.
- Dooring accidents: These accidents occur when a driver opens their car door in the cyclist’s path, causing the cyclist to collide with the door.
Steps to Take After Being Involved in a Chicago Bicycle Accident
If you are injured in a bicycle accident, you should follow these steps to help protect your right to compensation for your injuries and damages:
- Contact the authorities to report the accident. Never let the at-fault driver try to convince you not to file a police report.
- Exchange your information with the driver who struck you. It is a good idea to take photos of their driver’s license and insurance card.
- Take photos and/or video of your bike, the vehicle that hit you, any damages and visible injuries, and the scene of the accident.
- Take note of any statements or admissions made by the driver, such as, “sorry, I didn’t see you”.
- Gather names and contact information from any witnesses who saw the collision happen.
- Take note of any visible cameras in the area.
- Seek medical treatment immediately if you are feeling any pain or discomfort.
- Contact our legal team to discuss your case and your legal options.
How Our Team of Personal Injury Attorneys Can Help with Your Case
When you retain our law firm to handle your bicycle accident case, you can count on us to do the following:
- Conduct a complete and thorough investigation of your accident to establish how your accident occurred and who should be held responsible for the injuries you suffered.
- Retain experts from various fields as necessary, including medical experts, engineers, accident reconstructionists, vocational experts, economics experts, and life care planners.
- Investigate all potential defendants, insurance policies, and avenues of recovery.
- Give you access to our network of physicians, specialists, and other medical providers who can provide medical treatment for your injuries.
- Evaluate your medical records and other relevant records to identify any issues relating to causation or the nature and extent of your injuries.
- Handle all communications and negotiations with the responsible insurance company.
- Ensure that all documents are filed properly and on time with the appropriate entities.
- Prepare and present a persuasive case in court, at arbitration, or in mediation.
- Negotiate and resolve any health care liens and other liens related to your case.
Types of Compensation You Can Receive from a Chicago Bicycle Accident Claim
The specific amount you can recover from your Chicago bicycle accident claim depends on the facts of your case, legal issues, and insurance coverage. Some of the types of damages we can help you recover include:
Compensation for Medical Bills
All related past and future medical costs that you incur due to treatment required for your injury, including emergency care, hospitalization, surgery, assistive devices, rehabilitation, and medication, are included.
Compensation for Pain and Suffering
Compensation for all physical and mental suffering you have experienced and will experience in the future because of your bicycle accident can be recovered.
Compensation for Loss of a Normal Life
“Loss of a normal life” is defined as the temporary or permanent diminished ability to enjoy life. This includes a person’s inability to pursue the pleasurable aspects of life.
Compensation for Lost Income
All the past and future wages that you lose due to your injuries will keep you from being able to work and earn money to pay your expenses, and care for your family can be recovered. The compensation can include income, benefits, commissions, and bonuses.
Punitive damages are designed to punish someone for egregious misconduct in addition to the normal damages. It is often awarded in drunk driving cases and cases involving other reckless behavior.
Damages for Wrongful Death
If you have a family member who passes away because of a bicycle accident, it may be possible to recover for all related medical costs, pain and suffering by the decedent, as well as:
- Loss of financial support
- Loss of companionship or consortium
- Funeral and burial costs
Hiring Drake & Collopy, P.C. to Handle Your Bicycle Accident Case
At Drake & Collopy, P.C., we understand the enormous impact a bicycle accident can have on your life. Our team of experienced attorneys is dedicated to helping you recover the compensation you deserve for your injuries and losses.
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident due to someone else’s negligence or wrongful conduct, we encourage you to reach out to us today. Our team will review the facts of your case and get started on building a strong case right away. We are your partner in recovery and will fight aggressively on your behalf.