Lake County, located in the far northeastern portion of Illinois, is home to about 700,000 people. While the county is 1,368 square miles in size, the majority of it is water – 920 square miles are water and only 448 square miles are land. Aside from Lake Michigan, the county has 170 other rivers and lakes, 400 miles of streams, and many hectares of wetlands.
It can be a breathtaking place to live, with highly-developed urban centers existing alongside natural beaches, lakes, walking trails, and forest preserves. As picturesque as it is, however, it’s not exempt from the occurrence of unpredictable accidents.
Accidents can happen anywhere or anytime, often when you least expect them. If you get injured in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence or recklessness, you have the right to sue them for damages. Under personal injury law, you’re entitled to compensation for your injuries and related losses.
At Drake & Collopy, P.C., our Lake County personal injury lawyers have recovered millions of dollars for our clients. We’re dedicated to helping you navigate the legal system and pursuing maximum compensation. Get in touch with us today at (312) 766-9619 or through our website for a free consultation about your situation.
Types of Personal Injury Cases
Injuries from accidents of all kinds are common in Lake County each year, but some accidents are more common than others and require the expertise of Lake County personal injury lawyers, here are examples of common personal injury cases we handle:
- Motor-Vehicle Accidents — Car accidents, motorcycle accidents, truck accidents, boating accidents, aviation accidents, public transportation accidents, rideshare accidents, pedestrian accidents, bicycle accidents, scooter accidents, drunk driving accidents, etc
- Premises Liability Accidents — Slip and fall accidents, dog bites, drowning accidents, negligent security, construction accidents, etc
- Wrongful Death — Accidents that result in the death of the injured victim.
- Medical Malpractice — Surgical errors, prescription medication errors, ER errors, misdiagnosis or late diagnosis, etc
- Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect — Elder abuse, bed sores, etc
- Product Liability — Accidents caused by defective or malfunctioning products.
- Workers’ Compensation — Accidents that happen while working
- Catastrophic Injuries — Accidents that result in severe injuries that typically cause permanent disability or a shortened life span
Damages You Can Recover in a Personal Injury Case in Lake County, IL
When you suffer injury due to someone else’s actions, you have the right to seek compensation. In Lake County, IL, our Lake County personal injury lawyers can recover financial compensation for losses such as:
- Medical Expenses — Expenses for all reasonable, necessary, and injury-related medical care and services that you have received and will require in the future, such as emergency room care, hospital stays, medical treatment, prescription medication, therapy, and so on.
- Lost Income — All past and future lost earnings (including bonuses, commissions, fringe benefits, and other types of income) due to your injuries, whether due to a short-term absence or a lifelong diminished earning capacity.
- Pain and Suffering — Compensation for the physical pain and discomfort caused by your injuries.
- Emotional Distress or Mental Anguish — Compensation for mental health conditions caused by your injuries, such as PTSD, depression, or anxiety.
- Reduced Quality of Life — If you suffer a lifelong disability due to your injuries, you can seek compensation for being unable to carry out your normal activities.
- Wrongful Death Damages — If the accident resulted in the death of the victim, you can seek compensation for funeral and burial costs, the loss of companionship or consortium, and the loss of financial support.
- Punitive Damages — A rare type of damages awarded in cases where the responsible party was exceptionally reckless or negligent.
In instances where the accident was partly your fault, you can still recover compensation for your losses. Illinois operates under modified comparative negligence law, which makes it possible to recover damages if you’re less than 51% at fault for the accident. However, your total compensation will be decreased based on your percentage of fault (e.g., you can recover 75% of your damages if you were 25% at fault).
How Lake County Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help
Even if you know that you’re entitled to compensation for your injuries, securing that compensation can be an uphill battle. If you’re unfamiliar with the legal process of filing a claim,
Lake County personal injury lawyers can help you by:
- Informing you of your legal options
- Conducting a thorough investigation of the accident
- Gathering evidence and documentation
- Determining who is liable for your injuries
- Identifying potential witnesses
- Consulting experts (e.g. doctors, engineers, accident reconstructionists, etc.) regarding the facts of the case
- Calculating the maximum compensation you are owed, including losses that don’t have a financial cost (e.g. pain and suffering)
- Handling communications and negotiations with the at-fault party and their insurance company
- Filing documents properly and on time
- Representing your case in mediation, arbitration, or court
Having a lawyer on your side can help improve the final outcome of your case, as they have the skills and knowledge to navigate the process smoothly and ensure that your rights are never compromised.
Get the Assistance of Skilled Lake County Personal Injury Lawyers Today
We understand the devastating effects that a sudden accident can have on your life. You don’t have to take on the burden of filing a personal injury claim alone — our Lake County personal injury lawyers at Drake & Collopy, P.C. are always ready to help. You can rest assured that your case will be in good hands while you devote your energy to recovering from your injuries. Call us at (312) 766-9619 or contact us online for a free case evaluation today.