You may need legal representation if you’ve been injured in an accident. Finding the right Chicago personal injury lawyer can be difficult, but it’s important to do your research to ensure you get the best possible representation. Many lawyers out there claim they can help with your case, but not all of them have the experience or knowledge necessary to get the best results.
There are a few key things to consider when choosing a personal injury lawyer in Chicago. Here are a few tips to help you find the best lawyer for your needs.
Seek an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer
There are two types of lawyers: specialists and generalists. Specialists focus their practice on one particular area of law, such as personal injury or criminal defense. Generalists, on the other hand, have a broad range of legal experience.
The best personal injury lawyer for you will likely be someone with significant experience handling cases like yours.
To find out how long a lawyer has been practicing, you can visit their law firm’s website or do a quick Google search. You can also check with your local bar association to see if the lawyer you’re considering is in good standing. Taking the time to research your options will help you find the best possible representation for your case.
Ask About Their Success Rate
Ask about their success rate whenever you’re looking for a professional to help you with a significant issue. This is especially true when looking for a personal injury lawyer in Chicago.
You want to be sure you’re working with someone with a proven track record of getting results for their clients.
When you meet with potential lawyers, ask about their success rate in handling cases like yours. Also, ask about the specific outcomes they’ve achieved for their clients. This gives you a good sense of whether or not they’re likely to get you the outcome you’re hoping for.
Look for a Lawyer with Good Reviews
There are a lot of lawyers out there that claim to be the best, but only a handful truly are. A good review can help you weed out the bad ones from the good ones.
When looking for reviews, start with the law firm’s website. Many law firms have client testimonials or reviews you can read through. You can also check other online directories to see what others have said about the law firm you’re considering.
Get Recommendations from Friends or Family
If you have friends or family members who have used a personal injury lawyer in the past, it’s a good idea to get their recommendation. They can give you first-hand information about what it was like to work with the lawyer and whether or not they were successful in getting a favorable outcome. They may also provide you with some insight into the lawyer’s personality and whether or not you would be compatible.
Work on Contingency Plan
Hiring a personal injury lawyer on contingency is a great way to ensure you have the best legal representation possible. With this arrangement, your lawyer can work for you without paying any fees upfront. Instead, the lawyer will receive a percentage of any settlement or verdict you may receive.
Contingency arrangements are often used in cases where the potential recovery is high, and the client may not have the resources to pay an hourly rate. This type of arrangement provides an incentive for the lawyer to obtain the best possible result for the client, as their fee is contingent upon a successful outcome. While contingency fees can be expensive, they may be worth it in cases where the potential damage is significant.
If you’re considering hiring a personal injury lawyer on contingency, it’s important to talk to your lawyer about all possible fees and costs to make an informed decision about what’s best for your case.
If you are considering hiring a Chicago injury law firm on contingency, you should keep a few things in mind.
- Ensure you are comfortable with the arrangement and fully understand the terms of the agreement.
- Select a lawyer with experience handling similar cases and a successful track record.
- Communicate regularly with your lawyer so that you can stay up-to-date on the status of your case and provide any new information that may be relevant.
Choose Someone You Can Get Along With
Choosing a personal injury lawyer you can get along with is vital because you’ll work closely with them throughout your case. You want to be sure you’re comfortable communicating with them and that you feel like they have your best interests at heart.
The best way to get a feel for whether or not you’ll be compatible with a potential lawyer is to schedule an initial consultation. This will allow you to meet with them in person and get a feel for their personality.
Don’t Be Afraid to Negotiate
When it comes to personal injury lawyers, you shouldn’t be afraid to negotiate. While most lawyers have a set fee, there’s usually some wiggle room.
If you feel the lawyer you’re considering is charging too much, don’t hesitate to ask for a lower rate. The worst they can say is no.
Here are a few tips on how to negotiate with a personal injury lawyer in Chicago:
- Be clear about what you want. Before you begin negotiations, take some time to think about what outcome you are hoping for. This will help you be clear and concise when communicating your needs to the lawyer.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for what you want. It is important to remember that the lawyer is working for you, not the other way around. As such, you should feel free to ask for exactly what you need to feel comfortable moving forward with the case.
- Be willing to compromise. In any negotiation, there will likely be some give and take. Be prepared to compromise on certain aspects of the case to reach an agreement that works for both parties.
Don’t Delay in Hiring a Lawyer
If you’ve been injured due to someone else’s negligence, you must act quickly and hire a personal injury lawyer. This is because there are time limits for filing personal injury lawsuits.
If you wait too long, you may miss your opportunity to seek compensation. The sooner you hire a lawyer, the sooner they can begin working on your case. This can be important in ensuring that all evidence is gathered and preserved.
Why You Need a Chicago Personal Injury Lawyer
A personal injury lawyer will fight for your rights and ensure you get the money you are entitled to. Here is a look at other reasons why you need a personal injury lawyer:
- To Preserve Evidence: If you’ve been injured in an accident, it’s important to preserve all evidence. This includes photos of the scene, witness statements, and anything else that may be relevant to your case. A Chicago personal injury lawyer will know how to preserve this evidence and use it to your advantage.
- To Calculate Your Damages: It’s important to hire a personal injury lawyer to calculate your damages. This includes your medical bills, lost wages, pain, suffering, and more. An experienced lawyer will know how to properly calculate your damages to ensure you receive the maximum compensation possible.
- To Negotiate With Insurance Companies: If you’ve been injured in an accident, the insurance company will likely try to lowball you on your settlement. An experienced personal injury lawyer will know how to negotiate with insurance companies and fight for the compensation you deserve.
- To Take Your Case to Court: If the insurance company refuses to give you a fair settlement, your only option may be to take your case to court. A personal injury lawyer will know how to build a strong case and present it before a judge and jury.
- To Get You the Compensation You Deserve: Perhaps most importantly, you need a personal injury lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve. If you’ve been injured due to someone else’s negligence, you shouldn’t have to pay for your damages. A personal injury lawyer will fight for your rights and ensure you receive the maximum compensation.
Questions to Ask a Potential Personal Injury Lawyer
Not all lawyers are created equal. You want to be sure you’re hiring the best possible lawyer for your case. Here are some questions to ask a potential personal injury lawyer:
- How long have you been practicing law?: The lawyer should have been practicing law for several years. This ensures they have the experience and knowledge necessary to handle your case.
- Have you handled cases like mine before?: You want to be sure the lawyer has experience handling cases similar to yours. This will give them a better understanding of the law and how to best approach your case.
- What is your success rate?: Ask the lawyer about their success rate in personal injury cases. This will give you an idea of their experience and whether they will likely get you the compensation you deserve.
- How will you handle my case?: Ask the lawyer about their approach to personal injury cases. You want to be sure they have a solid plan for handling your case and getting you the compensation you deserve.
- What are my chances of winning? Ask the lawyer about your chances of winning your case. They should be able to give you an honest assessment of your chances and what you can expect.
- How much will it cost?: Personal injury cases can be expensive. Be sure to ask the lawyer about their fees and whether they offer any payment plans. You want to be sure you can afford the lawyer’s services before you hire them.
- Do you have any references?: Ask the lawyer for references from past clients. This will give you an idea of their level of service and whether they’re likely to get you the compensation you deserve.
- How long will it take to resolve my case?: Personal injury cases can take months or even years to resolve. Be sure to ask the lawyer about their estimated timeline for your case. This will give you an idea of what to expect and how long the process will take.
- What are the next steps?: After you ask the lawyer all of your questions, be sure to ask them about the next steps. They should give you a clear plan for proceeding and what you can expect.
- Do you have any other advice?: Finally, ask the lawyer if they have any other advice for you. They may have helpful tips or resources that you didn’t know about.
Get the Best Chicago Personal Injury Lawyer
When you have been injured due to the negligence of another, it is important to have an advocate on your side who can help you fight for the compensation you deserve.
At Drake & Collopy, P.C. in Chicago, our personal injury lawyers have a lot of experience with a wide range of cases, from car accidents to medical malpractice. We know how hard things are for you and will do everything we can to help you get the full and fair compensation you are owed by law.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation. Our experienced legal team will review your case and answer any questions you may have about your legal rights and options. We will also explain what we can do to help you pursue a personal injury claim against the responsible parties. If we decide to take on your case, we will do so on a contingency fee basis, which means that you will not owe us any attorney’s fees unless we obtain a recovery on your behalf. Call us today at (312) 345-0220 or contact us online to get started.